- Mid-Service conference completed on September 26
- Half way through our time in Namibia as of the end of September!
We celebrated this milestone with a week-long trip to Swakopmund for a marathon and Windhoek for our mid-service conference.
Swakopmund was beautiful as always and a wonderful break from the hot weather! The marathon, which is often run by Peace Corps volunteers, runs from Walvis Bay up the coast to Swakop. Dylan and I split it, Dylan running the first half, and me finishing! The route was truly beautiful, especially along my half. I was literally running between huge smooth sand dunes on one side and the ocean waves on the other side. Blue sky, lots of sunshine and a cool sea breeze made for a very good run. Both Dylan and I exceeded our expectations and finished with a combined time of 3 hours 49 minutes!
- Dylan blowing away the first half in 1 hour 33 minutes
- Tagging hands at the half way point for me to start my run
- Water and Coke (yes, Coke) offered every 5km
- Cheering PCVs at the finish
- A really delicious Italian meal to reward ourselves =)
After the marathon we went on to Windhoek for our mid-service conference. For the first time since December our whole group came together to share our experiences from the first year. It was great to see everyone, play some games, see a movie, eat good food in the city, etc. It's also nice to step back from teaching for a bit and reflect, with others, on successes and failures we've had and improvements we can make.